Jonathans Sprouts of Rochester, MA is upgrading its recall of conventional alfalfa sprout products with a specific sell-by date to include all of its alfalfa products, conventional and organic, with all sell-by dates, as a precaution, because it has the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.
Six products are involved:
- Jonathan’s 4oz Alfalfa Sprouts – all sell-by dates
- Jonathan’s 4oz Organic Alfalfa Sprouts – all sell-by dates
- Jonathan’s 4oz Alfalfa with Radish Sprouts – all sell-by dates
- Jonathan’s 4oz Organic Alfalfa with Radish Sprouts – all sell-by dates
- Jonathan’s 4oz Gourmet Sprouts – all sell-by dates
- Jonathan’s 4oz Alfalfa with Dill Sprouts – all sell-by dates
- Jonathan’s 8oz Alfalfa Sprouts – all sell-by dates
- Jonathan’s Organic Sprout Salad – all sell by dates
The product is sold in plastic containers, approximately 4 inches cube. See attached photographs.
They are sold at the following stores:
A&P, Grand Union, Stop & Shop, Shaws, Hannaford, Donnelans, Foodmaster, Truccis, Roche Brothers
The product listed below is distributed in bulk to food service establishments (restaurants, etc)
- Jonathan’s 5lb Bulk Alfalfa in waxed 18”x11” cardboard cartons – all codes
- Jonathan’s 5lb Bulk Organic Alfalfa Sprouts in waxed 18” x 11” cardboard cartons – all codes
- Jonathan’s 4lb Bulk Alfalfa Sprouts in bags 2lb bags in a 13”x9”x6” cardboard carton – all codes
The products containing alfalfa sprouts were distributed in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware.
The product being recalled was identified through routine sampling as part of the USDA Microbiological Data Program.
Consumers who have purchased Jonathans Sprouts products containing alfalfa sprouts are urged to return it to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 508-763-2577.