FOR OVER 25 YEARS FIGHTING THE BIG INSURANCE COMPANIESFREE CONSULTATION

Judge orders city stabbing suspect held

April 3, 2010

Judge orders city stabbing suspect held

By Julie Manganis

SALEM — A Salem man is being held without bail after police say he stabbed his mother’s ex-boyfriend seven times during a fight Thursday night.

Michael Marino, 27, of 29A First St. is facing charges of attempted murder and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon in the stabbing of Paul Goodwin, 40, of 6 South St., Salem.

Goodwin suffered stab wounds to his head and torso and was listed in critical but stable condition at Massachusetts General Hospital yesterday, a prosecutor said.

Prosecutor Colleen Cashman said police were called to 10 First St. just before 9 p.m. for a report of an unconscious man bleeding on the ground.

Christine Brault, who is Marino’s mother and the former girlfriend of Goodwin, told officers that she was talking to Goodwin outside her apartment when Marino approached them and confronted Goodwin.

She said Goodwin was stabbed during the confrontation and directed police to a nearby apartment at 29A First St., where Marino was living.

Marino’s grandmother invited the officers in and directed them to the basement.

Cashman said the officers, who were concerned Marino might still be armed, went downstairs with their weapons drawn. They met Marino halfway down the stairs and placed him under arrest.

As he was being pat-frisked, Cashman said, Marino told officers that the knife was under his bed. He later told them where to find blood-stained clothing he had changed out of.

Marino told police that he reacted after Goodwin punched him in the nose and the left eye, Cashman said.

Marino said he saw Goodwin take a few steps and then fall to the ground, as Marino ran from the scene, according to the report.

Because of the severity of Goodwin’s injuries, state police were called in to assist Salem police in collecting evidence at the scene.

Defense lawyer Mark Schmidt, asked if he believes Marino acted in self-defense, said yesterday that it’s too early to say what defense Marino would rely on at trial.

Judge Robert Brennan ordered Marino held without bail pending a dangerousness hearing scheduled for Friday.

Both Marino and Goodwin have been in trouble with the law in the past.

Two years ago, while driving, Marino plunged 20 to 30 feet onto the rocky shoreline in Gloucester after he failed to negotiate a sharp turn at the end of Route 133, apparently while trying to elude police after a hit-and-run accident in Beverly. He survived but suffered head injuries and later served a six-month jail term.

Goodwin’s brushes with the law include a charge of assault with a dangerous weapon last year.

The victim’s brother, Justin, was, by coincidence, brought to court yesterday for a hearing in an unrelated case, but court officers kept Justin Goodwin separated from Marino.

Source: http://www.salemnews.com/local/x1690090715/Judge-orders-city-stabbing-suspect-held