The agency warns that magnets found by young children can be swallowed or aspirated. If more than one magnet is swallowed, the magnets can attract each other and cause intestinal perforations or blockages, which can be fatal.
To date, the company has received two reports of children swallowing one or more magnets. No injuries have been reported.
The recall involves Buckyballs high powered magnet sets labeled “Ages 13+”. They were sold at several stores including children’s toy stores and office supply stores. The CPSC News Release includes a photo of the recalled magnets for reference.
Consumers should take the recalled products from children under 14 and contact Maxfield and Oberton for a refund.
Call Maxfield and Oberton at (888) 847-8716 or visit www.maxfieldandobertonsafety.com for more information regarding this recall.