What can be worse than seeing your loved one going through a medical course with the hope of recovering and healing soon or use the medication to stop the pain and suffering but instead face death or get an injury? Yes, it happens when doctors prescribe the wrong amount or the type of medication. In spite of medical school education and other precautions and protections, this is still done by the doctors. The prescription error is one major kind of medical malpractice in which the doctor does not take care at the standard level to his/her patients. These types of medical illnesses or injuries are possible to compensate.
According to NCCMERP (National Coordination Council for Medication Error and Prevention) error in medication is an escapable event which as a result harms the patient or leads to using medication inappropriately, while the patient, health care specialists or other consumer has control over the medicine. NCCMERP also say that the events related to the professional practice, health care procedures, and products. Error events occur in many cases which are but not confined to dispensing the item, prescribing a product or drug, distribution of the product or a drug, product packaging and labeling and as well as the education related to product and monitoring its usage.
Reasons Why Prescription Errors Occur
The preventable prescription errors occur when the medication for ordering and the prescribing system is not used appropriately.
- Handwritten prescription which is illegible is one big cause of the error.
- When the information is missing or not enough about the relationship of the past response of dose, allergic sensitivities, co-prescribed medications, and laboratory values.
- Selecting incorrect dose or drug may result in error occurrence, or when treatment schedule is too complex.
- Communicating the prescription information orally because the error may also cause due to the medications which sound similar.
- Dispense the drug incorrectly which look similar when the prescriptions are written by hand.
- One other reason of the error is when the prescription is never filled by the patient or transmitted to the pharmacy.
- Medications sampling by the physicians can also be added to the medication errors due to unsatisfactory reviewing the drug utilization and inadequate documentation.
How The Errors In The Medication Occur
Errors that occur may be identified or corrected potentially earlier to the administration of patient medication. There are three dispensing errors which are common:
- Dispensing the medication that is incorrect
- Dosage form or strength
- Calculating a dose incorrect.
- Wrong identification of drug contraindications and interactions.
Most drug administration errors are caused by the patients or health care providers. Communication is the significant problem in the drug administration. Patients are usually unaware of the errors that happen and do not actively play role in understanding all the things communicated to them. Mostly the errors occur due to unclear communication regarding drug appearance and name, why the drug is given to the patient, how often and how to take it, course duration of drug, best time to take drug, occurrence of common side effects, interactions with the other foods and drugs, and instructions about missed dose.
Over-the-counter drugs may result in medication errors because of not properly reading or understand the labels. All the above errors are primarily commissioned errors. But there are omissions errors also, like fail in administering the prescribed drug and also not administer it in a timely manner. To detect through the systematic reporting tools is much more difficult, through the process improvement efforts, the omission errors are addressed to improve the safety of the patient in a comprehensive way.
Effects Of Prescription Errors
There are nearly 700,000 visits to emergency department every year due to the adversative drug events and approximately 120,000 patients are hospitalized each year for the further cure. The adversative drug events risk increase due to the more medicines is taken by the people. With age, typically people take more medicines. Older patients (65 or above) have twice the chance of coming to the emergency departments because of adversative drug events and likely to be hospitalized approx. seven times after the emergency visit.
Prescription Drug Attorneys in Orlando
It is difficult to prove your injury or death of your loved one or you due to the prescription error. The best possible way is to hire an experienced medical malpractice attorney. Percy Martinez Law Firm has highly experienced attorneys in determining and proving a drug prescription responsible for the injury or death.