Copley Square is snarled after Friday bus crash

A bus crash in Copley Square set off a chain reaction accident Friday night that left several vehicles damaged and snarled traffic in the bustling area, according to emergency workers and eyewitnesses.

The incident happened about 8 p.m. near the intersection of Huntington Avenue and Exeter Street.

Authorities had not reported any serious injuries in the incident by late Friday night.

A state transportation spokesman said a private bus struck an MBTA bus along with several other vehicles. At the scene, the private bus appeared to have collided with the side of the MBTA bus.

A white Nissan Altima was tangled up in the crash, and at least two other cars sat damaged nearby. Another private bus was visible across the street with damage to its rear.

Copley Square, with a clutch of restaurants, bars, and hotels, teems with activity on weekend nights. The accident resulted in traffic being diverted, authorities said.

A gray Hyundai Sonata with heavy front-end damage was among the vehicles struck in the crash.

The driver, Ali Alazmi, 25, of Boston, said one of the private buses struck the front of his car before going over the median and crashing into the MBTA bus. Alazmi was not hurt.

Alazmi said he felt frightened as the incident unfolded.

A woman who said she was driving on Huntington Avenue said “a bus came out of nowhere and started hitting a whole bunch of cars.” The woman, who was interviewed over the phone while in an ambulance, said the bus pushed her car from one side of Huntington Avenue to the other.

A number of stunned onlookers were staring at the wreckage after crash. In addition to the those on the street, several people watched from the glass hallway above Huntington that connects the Boston Marriott Copley Place to the Prudential Center.

Jason Hagan, 29, of Boston said he was walking down the street and came upon the crash scene.

“It’s pretty insane,” Hagan said, echoing the comments of other passersby, many of whom exclaimed, “Oh my God!” and took photos with their cell phones.

Source: Boston Globe