Cops: Ex-dispatcher hit teen in fatal OUI

FALMOUTH – The morning after her son Jack was pronounced dead at a Boston hospital, Kelly Pearsall watched in Falmouth District Court yesterday as the woman police said killed him — a former police dispatcher — was arraigned on charges of drunken driving and motor vehicle homicide.

“It’s ironic that at the same time she is here, exactly to the minute, my son was donating his heart,” Pearsall said through tears.

Monica Mitchell, 42, of Mashpee is accused of being drunk while driving her Ford Explorer and striking Jack Pearsall, 16, of East Falmouth about 10:30 p.m. Friday as he and a group of friends were leaving the community picnic and fireworks at Mashpee High School, according to court records.

Mitchell, who now works for the Housing Assistance Corporation on Cape Cod, was a Falmouth Police Department dispatcher for three years, said her attorney, Drew Segadelli.

Mitchell hid her face with her hair throughout her arraignment. District Court Judge Joan Lynch released her on personal recognizance.

Segadelli described Mitchell as distraught over the teen’s death. He said it wasn’t clear whether Mitchell realized she had hit something Friday night, “surely there’s no recognition of hitting a human.”

He said she was not at risk of leaving the state, telling Lynch that Mitchell is the mother of a 7-year-old daughter and has family “roots” in the area.

Mitchell is scheduled for an Aug. 10 pretrial hearing. Jack Pearsall, a soccer star who would have been a junior at Falmouth High School in the fall, was hit as he was walking with three friends, authorities said. The survivors told police the SUV swerved and hit Jack near the intersection of Old Barnstable Road and Leather Leaf Lane, court records state.

Two of Pearsall’s friends told police that they had to jump out of the way of the vehicle.

Mitchell allegedly continued driving after the accident until being stopped by Mashpee police as her car sat in a line of traffic leaving the fireworks.

Pearsall was flown by helicopter to Massachusetts General Hospital but was pronounced dead at 10:37 a.m. Monday, court records state.

Mitchell was charged with motor vehicle homicide while under the influence of alcohol and driving to endanger; leaving the scene of personal injury accident resulting in death; a marked-lanes violation; and a separate charge of driving to endanger.

“This is all I have of him,” Kelly Pearsall said outside the courtroom while clutching a tattered piece of her son’s baby blanket. “I have this piece and he has a piece of baby blanket in his hand.”