Jaws Of Life Used To Free Lynnfield Woman From Totalled Car

Oldsmobile in head-on collision with lumber truck on Main Street near the high school. Driver alert and conscious after extraction from the vehicle.

A spate of serious car crashes in Lynnfield has now brought the State Police Accident Reconstruction Team to town for what is likely an unprecedented third time in six days.

Shortly before noon on Thursday, an Oldsmobile Cutlass operated by a Lynnfield woman was involved in a head-on collision with a passing truck on Main Street.

The truck was carrying a load of plywood as well as a forklift on the back and the force of the collision was enough to shift part of the load.

The woman was trapped in the vehicle after the crash and safety personnel had to free her using the jaws of life.

However, Lynnfield Police Chief David Breen indicated that the woman had been conscious and conversing when she was removed from the vehicle. Her husband arrived on the scene soon after and she was transported to Mass. General Hospital by a Lynnfield rescue unit.

In the aftermath of the wreck, the motorist was reportedly pinned between the steering wheel and what was left of the rest of the car. Rescuers also had to cut her seatbelt off to free her.

Police were expecting to speak with several witnesses of the accident to further evaluate what exactly happened.

The area of Main Street between the Congregational Church and approximately Essex Street was closed for a couple of hours early Thursday afternoon as State Police finished their work and as the wreckage was cleared from the scene.

The State Police Accident Reconstruction Team was called to Lynnfield in the early morning hours of Monday in response to a fatal one-car crash where a Lynn man was killed after colliding with a parked construction vehicle near the intersection of Salem and Walnut streets.

Before that, a near-fatal crash occurred last Friday afternoon that left a Lynnfield father critically injured and fighting for his life at Mass. General Hospital. A second motorist, a Lynnfield woman, was also involved in the crash but did not suffer life-threatening injuries.