Local teen killed in accident

NEWTON – Malden residents are mourning the loss of a local teen, who was struck and killed by an automobile while walking to work in Newton on Jan. 10.

Reishaun Hopkins, 18, had graduated from Malden High School last year and was remembered fondly by principal Dana Brown.

“It was a tough day for some of our kids,” said Brown. “Reishaun was quiet, but he was popular among his friends — a good kid.”

Hopkins’ family told Wicked Local news partner WVCB that he was on his way to work. They said he took the MBTA to Newton, then walked to his job at a Honey Dew Donut shop at a rest area off Route 128.

State Police were dispatched to the site at 6:30 a.m., following multiple 911 reports of a struck pedestrian. Hopkins was pronounced dead at the scene and police determined that he was struck by two cars while trying to cross the highway

No charges were filed, as of Thursday.

Brown told WVCB he wasn’t surprised at the length of Hopkins’ commute.

“It’s a bad economy,” he said. “We have kids working 20, 30, 40 hours a week while still in high school, supporting their families. Reishaun paid for a lot of things on his own. He would take any job to make some money,” Brown said.

Hopkins was remembered as a talented and well-liked player in the Malden Neighborhood Basketball League by league founder and president Ken Mazonson.

“Reishaun was really, really a very nice kid,” said Mazonson. “He was pretty low key, pretty quiet and very respectful. I don’t know of anyone in the MNBL that ever had a problem with Reishaun.”

Hopkins was an impact player in the league, winning or sharing MVP honors all three seasons he played. He was also a three-time all star, rookie of the year and won a 3-point championship.

Hopkins also helped his MNBL team win the league title this past year, Mazonson said he was popular throughout the league and will be missed.

“It is really a tragic loss for everyone who knew him,” said Mazonson. “I also think that it speaks volumes that this kid would T out to Newton at 6 in the morning to get to work. I really wish that there was a way to turn back the clock and remove him from harm’s way.”

Bob Hogan, the owner-operator of the McDonald’s and Honeydew at the rest stop, said the teen had been working there for a short period of time.

“We were deeply saddened to hear this news and our condolences go out to the family,” Hogan said.