Lowell man arrested in hit-and-run at Methuen bus stop

A Lowell man was arrested after he allegedly failed to stop for a school bus with its lights flashing in Methuen on Monday, struck a high school student heading to the bus, and fled the scene, police said.

Robert Jacques Jr., 28, faces charges including leaving the scene of a personal injury accident, negligent operation, operating with a suspended license, and failing to stop for a school bus with flashers on, after he allegedly struck the 15-year-old boy with his truck at Lowell and East Capitol streets at about 6:30 a.m., Methuen police said in a statement on their Facebook page. Jacques fled the scene following the crash, police said.

Police Chief Joseph Solomon, in a tweet, identified the victim as Joseph Barry, a sophomore at Methuen High School. Barry is in critical condition at Boston Children’s Hospital, Solomon said. He had been taken to Lawrence General Hospital, then was flown by MedFlight to Boston Children’s, officials said.

Barry was struck when he attempted to cross Lowell Street to get on the bus. Methuen police said a white Chevy pickup truck failed to stop for the bus and hit the student.

With the help of State Police, Methuen authorities used video surveillance from the area to identify the pickup with damage to its front end and passenger side. The vehicle matched the description of one that had struck a parked automobile while speeding eastbound on Oakland Avenue a short time after the initial accident on Monday, police said.

Investigators determined the son of the truck’s owner, later identified as Jacques, had an outstanding warrant for motor vehicle offenses as well as a suspended license and was a primary suspect in the hit-and-run, according to police.

Jacques was arrested by Methuen police on Causeway Street in Boston. He faces a second charge of negligent operation and a charge of leaving the scene of a property damage accident for the crash on Oakland Avenue, police said.

He is being held on $50,000 bail and will be arraigned Tuesday in Lawrence District Court.

Source: Boston Globe