Marshfield man killed in crash in Pembroke

PEMBROKE – The Town of Needham is mourning the loss of one of their workers today. John A. “Jack” Barisano was killed this morning when the municipal vehicle he was driving was involved in a crash on Route 3 in Pembroke.

Barisano worked for the Town of Needham for close to 12 years – more than ten years as a Highway Forman.

The accident occurred at approximately 6:20 a.m. Monday. Police closed the left lane on the north side of the highway, causing major delays during the morning commute. The pickup truck remained at the site at 9:30 a.m. Monday. State police said they would await the end of the morning rush hour before closing lanes to remove it.

Preliminary investigation indicates that 62-year-old Barisano of Marshfield, was driving a Needham municipal pickup truck and lost control on Route 3 northbound, north of Exit 12 and south of the North River Bridge.

The pickup struck and flipped over the guardrail on the left side of the road and rolled over into the median strip, State Police report. Barisano was ejected.

Rick Merson, director of the Needham DPW, said Barisano worked as a salt shift foreman and was allowed to take his truck home during winter months.

Barisano was transported to South Shore Hospital, where he was pronounced deceased.

At 6:19 a.m. today Massachusetts State Police responded to a crash of a pickup truck on Route 3 northbound in Pembroke, north of Exit 12 and south of the North River Bridge, which resulted in the death of the driver.

According to a spokesperson for the State Police, the preliminary investigation by Troopers Matthew Croteau and William Lennon indicates that Barisano, lost control of work truck, veered to the left and struck the guardrail, and rolled over into the median. The Ford pickup is owned by the Town of Needham Department of Public Works, for whom Mr. Barisano was employed.

The facts and circumstances surrounding the crash, including why the driver lost control of the truck, remain under investigation by Troop D of the Massachusetts State Police, the State Police Collision Analysis Reconstruction Section, and the State Police Crime Scene Services Section.

The left lane at the scene of the crash was closed for approximately 90 minutes to accommodate the rescue response and crash investigation, and then was reopened for the remainder of the morning rush hour. After the end of the rush hour, the lane was closed again and the vehicle was removed from the scene.

“Barisano was a valued employee and will be greatly missed by his colleagues,” read a statement released by Sandy Cincotta, the assistant to Needham Town Manager Kate Fitzpatrick, “Our thoughts and prayers are with Mr. Barisano’s family.”