Stabbing suspect found in Boston

April 9, 2010

Police: It was murder, but not gang-related

By Bruno Matarazzo Jr.

 SALEM — A man from Quincy was arrested on a murder charge yesterday at a Boston hotel, after he’d been on the run since a stabbing in The Point neighborhood on Wednesday.

Coincidentally, the man had been questioned by police two days earlier as part of an unrelated drug investigation.

Police said Jonathan Rivera, 21, stabbed Shaundell Turner, 30, of Lynn on Palmer Street in broad daylight in a dispute that was not gang-related, but a “personal matter.”

“There’s no indication — nothing — this was gang-related,” police Lt. Conrad Prosniewski said last night. “It was a personal incident between two individuals who knew each other.”

Boston police and personnel from the state police fugitive apprehension unit arrested Rivera inside a room he was renting at the Ramada Inn on Morrissey Boulevard in Dorchester. Also assisting in Rivera’s capture were Lynn police and U.S. marshals.

Rivera was taken into custody at 4 p.m. and later brought to the Salem police station, where he was being held overnight without bail. He is being arraigned today in Salem District Court.

Salem police Chief Paul Tucker credited his department’s patrol division, who quickly went to help Turner when he arrived at the station shortly after noon Wednesday in a car driven by a friend. He was then taken by ambulance to Salem Hospital, where he died of his injuries.

He also credited the Salem detectives and state police investigators assigned to the Essex County district attorney’s office, whose work helped lead to the arrest of Rivera.

“This was a tragic case for the victim’s family and friends, but, thankfully, the police investigation has brought the suspect to face justice,” Tucker said.

Rivera is no stranger to police even though he never “really lived anywhere in Salem.”

“He was bouncing around from friend to friend to friend,” Prosniewski said.

Police called him a known drug dealer and said he was connected to the arrest of a Marblehead man two days before the stabbing. Police said the Marblehead man might have been looking to buy heroin from Rivera.

When police pulled up behind a car Rivera was in that day, the man arrested — Edward Moore, 25 — told police that Rivera swallowed two bags of heroin, according to the arrest report.

Police stopped Rivera and found that he had more than $4,000 in cash but no drugs, so he was let go.