Truck driver charged after West Bridgewater crash kills Easton motorcyclist

A fuel truck that struck and killed a 57-year-old Easton motorcyclist on Saturday did not have an ignition breathalyzer required by state law when a driver has a history of drunk driving, police said.

The motorcyclist, Robert F. Gallagher, 57, of North Easton, was pronounced dead at the scene of the 10:21 a.m. crash near 415 West St. that left him pinned under the truck.

The driver of the truck, Matthew A. Beaucaire, 27, of East Bridgewater, was arrested and charged with driving without an interlock device, driving without a license and failure to yield.

An ignition interlock device is required to be installed in any vehicle a driver owns, leases or operates when the driver has lost his or her license for driving drunk. The interlock device is installed in the dashboard of the vehicle, working like a breathalyzer to stop the vehicle from starting if the driver is intoxicated, said Regan.

Police Sgt. Russell Regan declined to comment on Beaucaire’s past driving record, stating the investigation is ongoing.

Police said Gallagher was on his 2013 Honda CRF250 motorcycle, heading east on West Street. Beaucaire, who was driving a 2013 Kenworth truck owned by Noonan Waste Services, was heading south from the north lot of J.P. Noonan’s to the south lot, having to cross West Street to get there.

The street was shut down for several hours while West Bridgewater police and a state police accident reconstruction team and truck team worked to figure out what happened.

When the original 9-1-1 call came in at 10:21 a.m., the caller said a motorcycle was pinned under a truck. The truck was identified as a J.P. Noonan truck on the 9-1-1 call.

Paul Noonan, terminal manager at the J.P. Noonan facility, said in an email: “We are all very saddened by the loss. But the truck is not a J.P. Noonan truck.”

When The Enterprise called Noonan Waste Services, an unidentified man who answered said the company is part of the J.P. Noonan Transportation Co. Inc. He added no one would be available to comment until Monday.

A relative of Gallagher said the family wasn’t ready to comment on Saturday afternoon.