Victim ID’d in fatal Chatham crash

CHATHAM – Police on Sunday released the identity of a pedestrian killed in a violent collision Saturday night in front of the Kream n’ Kone on Route 28.

Albert Dellamalva, 62, of Orleans, was struck by a 2006 Range Rover driven by Benjamin Shealey, 32, of Providence, R.I., and Cambridge, who refused to stop for Harwich police before traveling into Chatham where the crash occurred, according to Chatham police.

Dellamalva was walking or standing on the south side of Route 28 near the Kream n’ Kone entrance at the time and was not a passenger or driver in any of the vehicles involved in the crash, Chatham Deputy Police Chief John Cauble said.

The crash, which damaged seven vehicles, occurred at 6:22 p.m.

Harwich police had received calls about the Range Rover, which had Rhode Island license plates, operating recklessly while traveling west on Route 28, according to separate Chatham and Harwich police press releases.

Harwich police officers located the car on Old County Road, but the driver would not stop and instead drove east on Route 28, leading police to pursue him, the Harwich press release said.

At some point while traveling on Route 28, the Range Rover struck a curb, causing its front tire to come off its rim, the press release said. It is unclear whether this led to the accident.

The Harwich press release did not specify whether Harwich officers were in pursuit of the Range Rover at the time of the crash.

Chatham police were not pursuing Shealey when the crash occurred, Cauble said.

“We just responded when we got the call for the accident,” he said, adding that Chatham police were at another accident at the time.

Cauble said he didn’t know whether Harwich police were in pursuit of the Range Rover at the time .

The Kream n’ Kone is about 2 miles east of the Harwich town line.

After hitting Dellamalva, the Range Rover struck a white 2008 Volvo sport utility vehicle that was exiting the Kream n’ Kone parking lot, Cauble said.

The Range Rover ended up on top of another car, and the Volvo stopped facing east on the side of the road in front of a utility pole.

Four people in the heavily damaged Volvo, including two children, were injured and taken to Cape Cod Hospital, according to the police press release.

One of the injuries was serious, possibly life-threatening, Chatham fire Capt. Matt Flynn told the Times on Saturday.

The children were later taken to a Boston hospital, according to police.

Cauble said Sunday that he didn’t have the names of the family members and didn’t know how fast the Range Rover was traveling.

A state police accident reconstruction team will determine the speed in the course of the investigation, he said.

After the crash, Shealey was arrested by Harwich officers for failure to stop for police and other motor vehicles violations, according to Chatham police.

Additional charges are expected to be filed by Chatham police against Shealey, who was taken to Cape Cod Hospital for injuries he suffered in the crash, Cauble said.

As of Sunday afternoon, he was still in the hospital in stable condition, Cape Cod Hospital spokeswoman Robin Lord said.

The road was closed for seven hours after the accident.

On Sunday morning, the location of the crash was marked off with orange Massachusetts Department of Transportation cones.

Dashes of orange spray paint were visible starting at the intersection of George Ryder Road and Route 28 and running for about 200 feet east to grass on the west side of the Kream n’ Kone entrance where Dellamalva was struck.

Tracks led through the grass toward where bricks, concrete blocks and a tree trunk lay in a pile at the entrance of the parking lot.

A Plymouth man and his son who were looking over the scene Sunday morning said their family was planning on eating dinner at the restaurant and had arrived just after the accident.

“I saw the gentleman putting up the tape,” said the man, who declined to be identified.

The family saw three ambulances leaving the area, he said.

He said the family had never been to Kream n’ Kone before and had only decided to try it when other restaurants were full.

Although the accident was clearly terrible, it might have been worse, the man said, noting that the patio in front of the Kream n’ Kone — less than 100 feet from the collision — was packed with people at the time.

“It’s so random,” he said.

Attempts to reach Dellamalva’s family Sunday were unsuccessful.